Current:Home > StocksNew York appeals court scales back bond due in Trump fraud case and sets new deadline -Infinite Edge Learning
New York appeals court scales back bond due in Trump fraud case and sets new deadline
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 06:12:37
A New York appeals court ruled that former President Donald Trump does not have to come up with $464 million to appeal the judgment against him in his civil fraud trial, and must only provide a bond in the amount of $175 million.
At midnight Monday, the time had expired on the 30-day grace period that New York Attorney General Letitia James had allowed for Trump and his co-defendants to secure a bond as they pursue an appeal of the $464 million judgment in his New York civil fraud trial. In order to appeal the case, Trump had been obligated to obtain a bond in the amount of the judgment.
The appeals court stayed much of the judgment of the lower court, which in February ordered Trump and co-defendants to pay a financial penalty, known as disgorgement, that has reached nearly $465 million, including daily interest. The penalty is intended to claw back the amount Trump and his company benefited from the scheme.
Under the appellate ruling, Trump now has 10 days to come up with the $175 million bond. In addition to the financial portion of the lower court's decision, the appeals court stayed the three-year bars against Trump from applying for loans from New York financial institutions, the two-year prohibition against Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump from serving as officers or directors in New York companies and the permanent bar against former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg and controller Jeff McConney from serving in financial control positions in New York businesses.
The appeals court kept in place the lower court's order for an independent monitor to oversee the Trump Organization and the installation of a compliance director.
The office of the New York attorney general said in response to the ruling, "Donald Trump is still facing accountability for his staggering fraud. The court has already found that he engaged in years of fraud to falsely inflate his net worth and unjustly enrich himself, his family, and his organization. The $464 million judgment – plus interest – against Donald Trump and the other defendants still stands."
Trump released a statement on social media accepting the appeals court's ruling: "We will abide by the decision of the Appellate Division, and post either a bond, equivalent securities, or cash." He also lashed out at New York Attorney General Letitia James and Judge Arthur Engoron, saying their credibility "has been shattered."
"This also shows how ridiculous and outrageous Engoron's original decision was at $450 Million," Trump said. He also repeated that he "did nothing wrong."
If Trump produces the bond within 10 days, as he says he will, he'll have months to prepare, since arguments in the appeals case will not take place until at least after the appeals court's fall term begins in September. Trump must now perfect his appeal, which means making all the preparations necessary for the appeal and then getting case onto the court's calendar.
Jesse Zanger contributed to this report.
veryGood! (66692)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Poll shows most US adults think AI will add to election misinformation in 2024
- New Zealand’s final election count means incoming premier Christopher Luxon needs broader support
- Virginia governor orders schools to disclose details of school-related drug overdoses
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- 21-year-old woman killed by stray bullet while ending her shift at a bar in Georgia
- As more Palestinians with foreign citizenship leave Gaza, some families are left in the lurch
- Grim yet hopeful addition to National WWII Museum addresses the conflict’s world-shaping legacy
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Top-Rated Sweaters on Amazon That Are Cute, Cozy and Cheap (in a Good Way)
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Pakistan’s parliament elections delayed till early February as political and economic crises deepen
- Tori Spelling Spotted Packing on the PDA With New Man Amid Dean McDermott Breakup
- Suzanne Somers, late 'Three's Company' star, died after breast cancer spread to brain
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- 'Alligators, mosquitos and everything': Video shows pilot rescue after 9 hours in Everglades
- Toyota recalls nearly 1.9 million RAV4 SUVs in the U.S. over fire risk
- A man killed a woman, left her body in a car, then boarded a flight to Kenya from Boston, police say
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Man and 1-year-old boy shot and killed in Montana residence, suspects detained
Members of far-right groups and counter-demonstrators clash in Greece
Toyota recall: What to know about recall of nearly 2 million RAV4 SUVs
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
15-year-old pregnant horse fatally shot after escaping NY pasture; investigation underway
'The Reformatory' tells a story of ghosts, abuse, racism — and sibling love
'Paradigm' shift: Are Commanders headed for rebuild after trading defensive stars?